The Journey to Literacy

As an infant, books introduced me to a new and creative existence that encouraged my literacy development. The earlier journey of becoming literate was straightforward since reading and writing were an implication in my Caribbean household. I was taught how to form letters into words and words into sentences, even though sometimes I would have trouble with detecting ‘b’ from ‘d’ or writing an ‘S’ like a ‘2’. I remember being told intriguing stories by my parents that were either read to me or made up. Eventually, I learned the letters of the alphabet and the sounds they made. Then a little before I turned 24 months, I acquired communication skills and could create my own stories by gazing at pictures in books. Upon entering basic school at two and a half years old, I was already forming complete sentences and spelling simple 3 to 5-letter words. 
By the beginning of first grade, I was introduced to my primary school’s library. Although Jamaica, where I grew up, is a small, third-world country, education is prioritized to maintain the island’s high literacy rate. The school’s library was small but a course called ‘library class’ was mandated to ensure every student knew how to read. My entire first-grade class would march in a line to the library where we read children’s books, discussed them with our class and teacher, and wrote answers to uncomplicated questions about the book. At this age, I read anything in my path like street signs, passages from my textbooks, and a ‘good news translation’ bible that my Christian school also required. Over time, I became a great reader and was able to suitably pronounce most words. Also, my teachers would write commendations on my report cards that motivated me to read books that were for ages older than mine. Around this age, I felt very literate because the people around me praised me for my skills.

  

    In third grade, it was a requirement to take the ‘Grade Three Diagnostic Test’ that focused on mostly writing. The test was graded for legibility and readability. To ace the exam, I was instructed to develop a narrative given one picture, then write the end of another story. I remember the picture was of a bunny eating a carrot from a garden. I wrote the story just like the ones I always read. I described everything that was describable. I would write, “The short, brown bunny ate a tall, orange carrot from the garden filled with healthy, green plants.” Again, my score sheet was flooded with compliments because I was able to comprehend, read and write very well. Then came fourth grade and I had to pass the ‘Grade Four Literacy Test’ to move up to fifth grade. Throughout fourth grade, I learned how to use descriptive words that evolved into larger, more specific words as I grew older. I also learned how to use proper punctuation, and was always stuck doing ‘reading comprehension' assignments, which I hated that were given every day for homework.  Reading and comprehension assignments were very repetitive and frustrating, however, I still utilize these skills today to complete almost every task.



    I continued my journey to literacy as an avid reader, collecting one book at a time from the local library with only a month to return them. I would try to be like my mother who was a bookworm and read many books in a few days. Shortly, I graduated from big print picture books to smaller print, thick books and collected numerous each time when I moved to an area with a more resourceful library. Soon after, I stopped collecting physical books and discovered audiobooks. My imagination grew wild, and the creative world I was presented to was larger. My journey to literacy was in phases, like most individuals. My parents' instructions and teachers' compliments encouraged me to become literate. Literacy is now an essential tool in my everyday life. I still use sentences, letters of the alphabet, and simple sentences that I was taught as a toddler. As I continue to expand my literacy, I am learning to use each stage of my literacy journey to advance in each area of my life.
                                       

Comments

  1. Love this! I was always the person in the school library that my classmates asked me what to read. They knew I read so many books!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment